Uterine fibroids are benign lumps that can appear in or on the uterus. They become large, inflamed, and cause heavy bleeding during menstruation. At the Caring Center for Women in San Marcos and New Braunfels, TX, our experienced doctors treat fibroids in order to alleviate painful symptoms and in some cases, increase the chances of becoming pregnant. We offer ultrasounds for detection and minimally invasive treatments to remove these uterine growths.
There are several different types of fibroids that can be classified by their location. The most common are intramural fibroids, which develop in the muscular wall of the uterus. Subserosal fibroids develop on the serosa (outside of the uterus). Both of these types of fibroids can cause the uterus to stretch. If subserosal fibroids continue to develop, they can grow a stem that supports the fibroid. These types of fibroids are then classified as pedunculated fibroids. The least common type is known as submucosal fibroids and they grow within the myometrium (the middle muscle layer in the uterus).
"Lauren has a great personable presence. She introduced herself and told me about her family-that was awesome. She is good at listening and asking questions. She was genuinely open to helping with issues.I was completely impressed and the office staff was great too."- M.P. / ZocDoc / Mar 28, 2018
"She was great!! Very informative :)"- M.F. / ZocDoc / Mar 27, 2018
"Very informative and helpful."- K.D. / ZocDoc / Mar 27, 2018
"Dr. Irwin has taken care of me for nearly ten years, has always been very supportive, listened carefully and worked together with me to decide on what was best for my health. She has performed successful DaVinci method surgeries, exploratory procedures and crucial lab work that I have requested. I would highly recommend her as a woman very knowledgeable in state-of-the-art medicine, serving with consistent professionalism and an excellent bedside manner."- Anonymous / Healthgrades / Mar 26, 2018
"Love Dr. Blaue and the whole office is just wonderful. So welcoming and enjoy every visit"- C.R. / Facebook / Mar 20, 2018
The determined treatment will depend on the type and size of the detected fibroids. Fibroids typically only need to be removed if they are causing unpleasant symptoms or are affecting fertility. At our office, we use the following methods to treat fibroids:
- A minimally invasive hysteroscopic myomectomy is used to treat submucosal fibroids. Under a general anesthesia, the doctor will insert a hysteroscope into the vagina, through the cervix, and into the uterus. This procedure is camera guided, which allows your surgeon to have a better view of the fibroids when removing them.
- A robotics-assisted myomectomy with the da Vinci System involves making small incisions in the abdomen and the fibroids will be removed by several surgeon-guided robotic tools. This is done in a hospital setting under a general anesthetic.
- A da Vinci System robotic-assisted hysterectomy is a procedure in which the uterus is removed through small incisions in the abdomen. This is also performed in a hospital under a general anesthetic.
Fibroids can be extremely painful, but they also are associated with several other indicators. You could be experiencing fibroids if you notice symptoms that include:
- Severe pain during menstruation
- Heavy bleeding during and outside of menstruation
- Pelvic and/or lower back pain
- Irregular bloating in the abdomen
- Frequent urination
- Painful intercourse
Plan Your Procedure
Get Rid of Your Fibroids
Fibroid removal can help to relieve the pain, heavy bleeding, and other symptoms that fibroids can cause. At the Caring Center for Women, we offer several treatment options and we can help you find the one that is best suited for you. If you are experiencing symptoms of uterine fibroids, contact our San Marcos or New Braunfels, TX office today.